Collateral Damage Daily for April 29
Mike Adams felt soreness in his right shoulder and upper back area on Thursday and underwent an MRI on his shoulder. No structural damage was found, and further testing determined he has Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. He will rest for the next week or so before being evaluated again. If surgery is required, he will try to delay it until after the season. … Jonathan Niese has been dealing with cardiac arrhythmia for the last two seasons, and he will have corrective surgery after the season. He should be fully recovered for spring training. … Carlos Gonzalez underwent an MRI on his knee, which revealed inflammation in the hamstring tendons. He could miss the remainder of the season. … The MRI on Wily Peralta’s arm revealed no structural damage, but he is not expected to make his next start. … Dan Uggla is playing with three staples in his right hand after suffering a laceration during the post-game celebration on Tuesday. … Eduardo Escobar suffered a left elbow contusion after being hit by a pitch on Friday and may be shut down for the season as a precaution. … Eric O’Flaherty is day-to-day with low back tightness. … Dexter Fowler will wear a splint for his left wrist tendinitis for the next few weeks and will be limited to pinch-running. … Paul Goldschmidt is day-to-day with a low back strain. … Ricky Romero is day-to-day with a sore left knee. … Eric Hosmer’s right rotator cuff is frayed and may have a slight tear. He will be re-examined today and is day-to-day. … Max Scherzer will throw a bullpen session today and, if all goes well, is expected to start on Wednesday. … Edwin Encarnacion is day-to-day with left trapezius tightness. … Brandon Phillips is day-to-day with leg tightness. … Mike Moustakas had to leave yesterday’s game with left groin tightness and is day-to-day. … Steve Johnson is day-to-day with a right foot contusion and will undergo an MRI today to see if there is an occult fracture not seen on x-ray. … Franklin Gutierrez is day-to-day with left groin tightness. … Erick Aybar is day-to-day with a strained right quad.
- Neil Walker was diagnosed with a herniated disc in his lower back and will be out for the remainder of the season. Spine specialists don’t expect he’ll need surgery, and he is expected to make a full recovery in time for spring training. Walker has been trying to play through the soreness and tightness over the last few weeks but did not make enough progress, so rest and physical therapy has been prescribed.
- Jayson Nix will miss the next 10 to 14 days after an MRI revealed a strained left hip flexor. The injury is believed to be mild, but it still means that he will likely miss the divisional series. Eduardo Nunez is expected to be the primary backup in his absence.
- Adam Eaton was hit by a pitch in the seventh inning of Saturday’s game and suffered a broken right hand. Hand fractures usually take anywhere between four and eight weeks to heal. He is expected to make a full recovery in time for spring training next year.
- Jason Giambi has been out since September 21 with right groin soreness and was recently diagnosed with a hernia, ending his 2012 season. Surgery has not been scheduled yet, but he will likely undergo a procedure in the offseason. Giambi is expected to make a full recovery in time for spring training.
- Ryan Howard broke his right big toe on Friday evening by dropping a lead pipe on it while in the on-deck circle. The hairline fracture should heal well with some rest, and Howard is expected to make a full recovery in time for spring training.
- The Orioles brought Oliver Drake up from the minors and placed on the 60-day DL to make room for Steve Pearce on the 40-man roster. Drake has been dealing with shoulder issues throughout the year and was officially placed on the DL with right shoulder tendinitis. He is expected to make a full recovery in time for spring training, but the recurrence of shoulder problems is a little concerning.
- Mark Teixeira is expected to return to the lineup today for the first time since aggravating his calf strain three weeks ago. He has missed over a month between the two stints. The Yankees may stick him at DH for a few days to help protect him.
- After announcing that Donnie Murphy was finished for the season because of his concussion, Ozzie Guillen must have changed his mind on Saturday, because Murphy pinch-hit. At least it means Murphy passed all of the concussion exams.
<< Previous Article
The Prospectus Hit Lis... (10/01)
<< Previous Column
Collateral Damage Dail... (09/28)
Next Column >>
Collateral Damage Dail... (10/02)
Next Article >>
The Week in Quotes: Se... (10/01)