April 15, 2013
Running Down The Joe Maddon/Zooey Deschanel Newsworthiness Checklist
Before we write a post at Baseball Prospectus about a Joe Maddon eccentricity, we always run it through the Joe Maddon Newsworthiness Checklist, adapted from a similar checklist useful to many entertainment reporters. Let's see whether this GIF of Joe Maddon having an actual conversation with a fan in the middle of play during the bottom of the sixth inning of a one-run game Monday applies.
1. Is the thing being done by Joe Maddon/Zooey Deschanel cute? [Y]
2. Does the thing being done by Joe Maddon/Zooey Deschanel subtly tweak baseball's/Hollywood's conventions? [Y]
3. Quirky quirky quirky quirky? [Y]
4. Had a manager/actress other than Joe Maddon/Zooey Deschanel, someone like Eric Wedge/Kate Hudson done this, would I have likely ignored its charms? [Y]
5. Does performance of such action demonstrate Joe Maddon/Zooey Deschanel is a man/woman of The People, of whom I am one? [Y]
6. Will the attention given to Joe Maddon/Zooey Deschanel for this rather small and unexceptional act bewilder the portion of the population who considers Joe Maddon/Zooey Deschanel an overrated twee menace? [Y]
A clean sweep! Let's watch that again!