October 26, 2012
Pitchology, Final Exam
We’re reached the culmination of the baseball season, having nearly consumed the 2012 textbook, and it’s time to test our knowledge. So let us begin the Final Exam for our Pitchology class.
We have covered a multitude of topics this semester, including mechanics, stuff, and injuries. We have studied a combination of case studies, player comparisons, and some of the theoretical concepts that underlie the mystery of pitching. Please refer to your notes and/or the textbook as you take the exam.
Exams will be graded on a curve from 20-80. Any questions will be handled during office hours in the comment section. Good luck. (The answer key can be found in the first comment.)
1. Which of the following is an advantage of a deep release point?
A) increased perceived velocity
2. Which strategy is most efficient for striding down the mound?
A) slow and steady wins the race
3. Which strategy is most efficient for choosing a stride direction?
A) stride straight at the plate
4. What is meant by the term, “foot strike”?
A) A strike that is aimed at the batter's foot
6. If a pitcher has outstanding torque, it will most likely lead to:
A) great velocity
7. The momentum grade on the mechanics report card is most closely linked to which one of the other grades?
A) release distance
8. Which of the following is a candidate to contribute to a pitcher's injury?
9. The common emphasis on downhill plane:
A) has a dramatic impact on groundball rates
10. Match the following series of photographs with the progression of posture grades listed below:
11. The most critical grade on the Mechanics Report Card is:
12. The most volatile grade on the Mechanics Report Card is:
13. Which of the following is NOT a likely consequence of a pitcher using a slide step from the stretch?
A) a shallower release point
14. Why doesn't every pitcher throw a knuckleball?
A) it's really hard to throw a good knuckler
A) 90 mph
16. What is the approximate effective velocity of the following pitch to Mark Teixeira (radar gun reading = 98 mph)?
A) 91 mph
17. Which is the best indicator of a pitcher's command?
A) frequency of hit targets
18. Which of the following is a common mechanical trend that is specific to LOOGYs?
A) use a closed stride
19. Which of the following sequences is most efficient with the kinetic chain?
A) max lift → hip thrust → foot strike → fire hips → fire shoulders → stabilize glove → release point
20. Which elements of his mechanics help make Justin Verlander the best pitcher in the game?
(please refer to the GIF below)
A) plus balance and posture
Free Response: If you were to ask the professor to evaluate any pitcher in baseball during the offseason, whom would you choose?
(Please use the comments section to submit your response)